Top 10: Best-Selling Superhero Movies of All Time

wmmattler April 1, 2010 22

Disclaimer: This list was composed using box office statistics alone. To qualify the entries in this countdown had to be in a comic book over the last 60 years.  Our selected ten has been ordered by personal taste, while the actual list of box office stats is at the bottom of the page.

10. Watchmen

It was the giant guy with the little blue wee-wee that kinda made everyone tee-hee a bit. The heroes and the costumes were kind of strange with a lot of names most non-post graduates wouldn’t be able to figure out… but it was gritty. And the ending was epic!

9. Ghost Rider

Nick Cage is hands down one of my all-time favorite actors. Was I worried that he was going to be stuck with a groaner on this one? Yup. A lot of people were skeptical when we heard about the movie… how do you pull that off and NOT make it look hokey? You make it kiss-ass. And they did.

8. The Incredible Hulk (2006)

The CGI was about as good as it could be for four years ago. The story ran kind of left of center somewhat, but over all, not a bad movie.

7. The Dark Knight

I like ‘em a little dark when it comes to my superhero movies and so did movie goers in 2008. The Dark Knight Ranks #1.

6. Fantastic 4

I thought for once a movie that had super-flop potential did fairly well. This was a great movie and comes in #6 on our countdown, but realistically was #17 on the all time, anything goes, let’s include sequels countdown.

5. Superman Returns

Not a big fan of Supes. Don’t know why I’m not, I’m just not. Still, this was a good movie, great special effects and mushy enough for a guy to watch with his girlfriend.

4. X-Men: The Last Stand

When I saw this movie title I went into hyper-lock; there was NO WAY this could be the last X-Men movie. Thank God it was just a title.

3. Iron Man

Effects wise, acting wise and even story wise, this one should have done much better. Still #3 all time is not bad. Now that the general public has had a taste, perhaps Iron Man 2 will do even better.

2. Spider-Man (2002)

Cha-Ching! I’ll bet Marvel wishes they hadn’t sold the movie rights to Spider-Man. What were they thinking giving away one of their flagship characters?

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Before anyone says anything, it’s #18 on the all-time list and was a comic book before a cartoon or a movie. Plus my friend Steve reeeeeally liked them.

Top 20 Highest grossing Superhero Movies of All Time:

17. Fantastic Four 7/8/05 Fox $154,696,080
  18. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3/30/90 NL $135,265,915
  19. The Incredible Hulk 6/13/08 Uni. $134,806,913
  20. Wanted 6/27/08 Uni. $134,508,551

22 Comments »

1. ladiesman May 29, 2010 at 8:43 am -

boy, whoever made this list totally has a shitty taste in superhero movies. IMO

• wmmattler June 2, 2010 at 7:39 am -

That would be the people responsible for Hollywood ticket sales. Whoever made the comment obvious can’t read intros

• hello June 4, 2010 at 12:19 pm -

what, the bit wher it says:
        “Our selected ten has been ordered by personal taste”?

• wmmattler June 8, 2010 at 7:29 am -

check Imdb… they’re ordered by sales… OR you could read the intro that specifies how they were ordered… wow, not big on anything besides looking at the pictures are we?

• Jaga September 15, 2010 at 9:35 am -

Are you stupid. Do you not read or look at the pictures. It states the top 20 at the bottom of the page (by sales) and at the toe they state their list of 10 with pictures are ‘ordered by personal taste’.

WMMATTLER Keeps telling people to read and not look at the pictures. Perhaps you could do the same thing. Idiot

Not that I igree with ladiesman but dont be such a cretin and tell people they are wrong when you are..

• Bruce Le November 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm -

WMMATTLER is as retarded as the person who wrote the list. Making him the perfect candidate to repost it I guess.

See: “Our selected ten has been ordered by personal taste, while the actual list of box office stats is at the bottom of the page.”

Now please tell me your blind, and so are the people who made that list. Cause if you judged those movies on sound alone, maybe it could work… but even then…

2. Bluud October 1, 2010 at 7:23 pm -

First off, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in saying that I am suggesting that Ladiesman’s opinion is rather small minded (although I agree with him). Whoever published this page is entitled to their thought of whatever it is they like I suppose.

I do have to say, though, that I thought both the first Iron Man and Watchmen were terrible movies…

3. DL October 5, 2010 at 11:27 am -

The Dark Knight worse than the Fantastic Four? TMNT at the top spot. What the hell?

4. Scott November 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm -

Fantastic 4, Superman Returns and TMNT ? Who the #$%^ did this list?

Plus my friend Steve reeeeeally liked them ..I wasnt aware it was possible to hire a 10 year old kid and apparently Steve’s voice speaks for the 3 billion of us.

5. Scott November 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm -

Psst, i hate to say The dark Knight broke box office records… Im pretty sure it outsold TMNT

6. RJ November 8, 2010 at 2:53 am -

F’ed up list. :))

7. Bruce Le November 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm -

Seriously, I had to post just to say how bad this list is. I mean, generally, everyone is allowed to like whatever they want. But this list, no, you are not allowed.

And the list is Of ALL Time ?!??!? What the hell lolll, superman returns is the better superman :O

Not only did they pick the worst movie of almost every serie, like Fantastic Four 2 was better, Xmen 2 was better.

But Dark Night vs Fantastic Four OMG, no way. Impossible!

I’ve seen lists where this list would be titled Worst Super Hero Movies of all time.

• LeTune November 19, 2010 at 12:59 pm -

The list rankings are based on how much the movies generates in gross income, not personal taste!

8. special November 24, 2010 at 8:03 pm -

Well this list SUCKS!! Hmm I don’t know what your problem is but you have a very bad taste in superhero movies. You have X3 instead of X-men 1 and 2(which were MUCH better). You put the Fantastic 4,Superman Returns,and Teenage mutant ninja turtles ahead of the dark knight. Okay really now WTF is wrong with you. If this list is based off of Box office The Dark Knight should be number 1 end of story. Personal taste Dark Knight Still should be number 1. Oh and you shouldn’t have shitty films on your list. I mean really now what’s wrong with you.

• Curtis February 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm -

Go back and suck on Nolan’s nuts faggot.

9. HARRY November 26, 2010 at 3:52 pm -

MAY BE U MADE ANALYSIS ON BASIS OF THEIR GROSS EARNGS.. BT SOME LAME NINJA FLICK IN THE FIRST SPOT ???CANT JST DIGST THAT/…

10. Evil Homer December 14, 2010 at 7:23 am -

The first TMNT movie, was legendary!!!

• Roj January 11, 2011 at 8:50 am -

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Sorry I can’t help it. I believe the maker of the list’s intention is purely just to make everyone furious. “Aaargh! Don’t make me angry, you won’t like me when I’m angry!” Where’s Underdog? He should be on the prime spot rather than TMNT He-he-he-he!

11. Andrew T January 30, 2011 at 5:46 am -

This may be the worst movie ranking list ever created, published, or even thought about.

12. manas February 3, 2011 at 3:39 am -

this is the worse list of super hero movies
    don’t see it

13. Gm Santiago April 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm -

It’s really, especially for me because I also like marvel superheroes. It’s really cool to know the TOP 10 Super Hero Movies of all time.

14. Blake Anderson October 5, 2011 at 4:24 am -

Totally not the way I would of gone. Based upon quality alone, here is my list
    10) Rocketeer
    9) The Incredible Hulk (2008)
    8) Blade